Re: octave faq

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: octave faq
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:39:05 +0200

> May I suggest a few things?

Sure thing.

> Giving a link to the frontends would be nice. QToctave is easily found
> through Google, but OctaveDE doesn't appear as first result and OctaveX
> doesn't appear at all in my search results. (I'm using google.de)

I really don't feel like encouraging users to use these... things.
Although I'm a bit partial to OctaveDE because of its superior
execution.  But maybe links have to be there.  And I think OctaveX might
be XOctave. Oops.  I'm not really sure about the licenses of all of them
either.  Better look that up.

> Maybe you could add the commands that get you help to the "Newbie Octave
> Language Problems". I mean things like "help" and "doc" and the like.

Maybe if there were some functions that had people often asking about
them.  For the "how do I load this .dat file" type of questions, which
are really common and what you might be thinking about (and yes, help
dlmread might help them a lot, only they don't know dlmread in the first
place). I think having small specific examples together with a hint at
the help command might be a better idea.  Just pointing at the manual
isn't really helpful.  Not on a mailing list, and not in an FAQ either.

Grundberg