Re: wait_for_file ?? [print via pipes]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: wait_for_file ?? [print via pipes]
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:26:13 -0400

I've attached a changeset to be applied to the current tip.

Printing via GL2PS is done by directly writing to a file, or by writing to a
pipe to a pipeline of system commands. Which may include gs, pstoedit, and
fig2dev.

Printing via Gnuplot, is done by writing to a file and then using a single
system command to handle the conversion to other formats. That system command
is also a pipeline which may include gs, pstoedit, and fig2dev.

The pipeline of commands may also cleanup any temporary files that were
created. This is done by appending "; rm <tmpnam>" to the end of the pipeline.
For a DOS command shell, "& delete <tmpnam>" is used.

I've attached a test function, test_printing(), that will output most supported
formats. For "ps" and "pdf" output the script attempts to append a second page
to the output. The appending works for me from the command line, but does not
work correctly when the test_printing() function is run. It looks like a timing
problem to me.

When I run the "test_printing()" I see the following output ...

octave:1> test_printing
backend is gnuplot
print gnuplot-corel -dcorel
print gnuplot-dxf -ddxf
print gnuplot-eepic -deepic
print gnuplot-emf -demf
print gnuplot-epsc -depsc
print gnuplot-epslatexstandalone -depslatexstandalone
print gnuplot-gif -dgif
Could not find/open font when opening font 12, trying default
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string -1 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string -0.5 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0.5 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 1 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 2 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 4 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 6 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 8 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 10 with font
Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string Amplitude with
font Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string Triginometric
Functions with font Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string sin(x) with
font Helvetica
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string cos(x) with
font Helvetica
print gnuplot-hpgl -dhpgl
print gnuplot-jpg -djpg
print gnuplot-pdf -dpdf
print gnuplot-pdf -dpdf -append
print gnuplot-pdfcairo -dpdfcairo
print gnuplot-png -dpng
print gnuplot-pngcairo -dpngcairo
print gnuplot-psc -dpsc
print gnuplot-psc -dpsc -append
print gnuplot-pstex -dpstex
print gnuplot-pstricks -dpstricks
print gnuplot-svg -dsvg
print gnuplot-texdraw -dtexdraw
print gnuplot-tikz -dtikz
backend is fltk
print fltk-aifm -daifm
print fltk-dxf -ddxf
print fltk-emf -demf
print fltk-epsc -depsc
print fltk-epslatexstandalone -depslatexstandalone
GL2PS error: Bad file pointer
print fltk-hpgl -dhpgl
print fltk-jpg -djpg
print fltk-pdf -dpdf
print fltk-pdf -dpdf -append
print fltk-pdflatex -dpdflatex
GL2PS error: Bad file pointer
print fltk-png -dpng
print fltk-psc -dpsc
print fltk-psc -dpsc -append
print fltk-pstex -dpstex
print fltk-svg -dsvg
print fltk-tikz -dtikz
GL2PS error: Bad file pointer

The GL2PS errors are accompanied by empty files, "fltk-epslatexstandalone.tex",
"fltk-pdflatex.tex", and "fltk-tikz.tikz". If I run the script multiple times,
I do not always get the same empty files.

Ben