Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:04:24 +0200

Hi,

sorry, I thought I had sent an answer to this thread, but it seems I
didn't.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:20:22PM -0400, John Swensen wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> > Just to clarify, I don't believe there are any Ubuntu Octave packagers
> > at all (and if there are, then we need to communicate with them more).
> > The brunt of Debian packaging right now is done by a single person,
> > Thomas Weber. A few people and I help out a little, but it's probably
> > at least 95% Thomas, just like before him it was almost all Rafael
> > Laboissiere. The Ubuntu Octave packages are taken without modification
> > from Debian, unless this has changed recently while I wasn't looking.
> >
> > I'm not trying to be divisive here, it's just that I think it's
> > important to look at how many people are involved and to what degree.
> > Also, Ubuntu and Debian share an important symbiosis, but I think it's
> > important to be explicit about their many, many differences, just like
> > I think it's important to separate C and C++ instead of talking about
> > "C/C++".
> >
> > - Jordi G. H.
>
> I guess that was kindof my point.  We, as the Octave community, don't
> have much control over what the GraphicsMagick maintainers do.  We can
> ask nicely and sit and wait for them to change a configure flag in the
> GraphicsMagick package builds.  On the other hand, we can easily ask
> Thomas Weber to add a "--with-magick=ImageMagick" to the Debian/Ubuntu
> package builds and have a great likelihood of it happening pretty
> quickly.  Even one of us could make a patch to the Debian package
> files so all he has to do is make it effective for the next package
> release.

Just make sure the ./configure process breaks when using the wrong bit
depth. And include some explanation in README or somewhere, so end users
know what to do.

Regarding the configure flags: I don't think that's actually necessary,
I can just swap imagemagick for graphicsmagick.

        Thomas