Re: Octave vs Scilab

From: Fotios Kasolis
Subject: Re: Octave vs Scilab
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 00:29:42 +0200

From: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:12 AM
To: "Fotios Kasolis" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>

On  7-Oct-2010, Fotios Kasolis wrote:

| However, my point is not to find a good implementation in that case, but
| instead, to compare the interpreter.

Yes, but everyone knows that for loops are slow and should be avoided
in array languages, right?

jwe

What makes loops slower in one interpreter compared to another? Or what kind of optimizations could be applied to get a reasonably fast/slow interpreted for loop? Is it the loop that is slow or accessing the elements (parts) of the matrix/vector in an efficient way is not possible?

Sth else I wanted to ask... when you make an assignment in Octave does it know (or assumes) a type (default is double I guess if numeric and not returned by boolean ) internally to that variable? so does it create a table with what variable is of what type internally?

/Fotis