Re: Scale problem using plot()

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Scale problem using plot()
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:12:24 +0800

On Oct 25, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 12:55 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> but what do you imply is wrong with the gnuplot version?
>>
> The ymin should appear as 56, not  blank.  But, as you point out matlab does
> it wrong, too.  In other cases gnuplot is like fltk in that it draws below
> the xaxis line.  I hope that the fix to fltk will also fix gnuplot.  If not,
> I will post a more complex case where both fltk and gnuplot draw
> junk below the xaxis.
>
> Michael

The scaling of the axes is determined by the "xlim" and "ylim" property values.
The values of the tickmarks aren't intended to serve that function. Meaning
they are not treated as line objects when the {x,y}limmode is "auto".  So, I
think gnuplot and matlab are doing the what is intended (i.e. no bug) ... at
least they seem to do the correct thing for this example.

If you can give me an example where gnuplot doesn't clip the tick marks, grid
lines its children, I can take a look at fixing that.

I've cc'd Shai. Perhaps, it is a simple task to crop the tick marks and grid
lines for the fltk backend.

Ben