Re: AspectRatio Patches [changeset]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: AspectRatio Patches [changeset]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:06:09 -0400

On Nov 1, 2010, at 5:54 PM, logari81 wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 05:53 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Ups, sorry for the inconvenience. This was of course the wrong file. I
>>> send you the right one in the present mail.
>>>
>>> Kostas
>>> <aspectratios2.changeset>
>>
>> With this changeset, I'm not getting the correct result for "axis equal".
>> See the LL plot for ...
>>
>>      demo ("axis", 1)
>>
>> Also, the 5th demo gives me an error.
>>
>>      demo ("axis", 1)
>>
>> axis example 5:
>> clf
>> axis image
>> x=0:0.1:10;
>> plot(x,sin(x))
>> axis image
>> title("image")
>>
>> error: __actual_axis_position__: quotient: nonconformant arguments (op1 is
>> 1x2, op2 is 1x3)
>> error: called from:
>> error:
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/private/__actual_axis_position__.m
>>  at line 65, column 33
>> error:
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/__go_draw_axes__.m
>>  at line 71, column 9
>> error:
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/__go_draw_figure__.m
>>  at line 86, column 17
>> error:
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m
>>  at line 90, column 5
>> error: input: reading user-input failed!
>> error:
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/testfun/demo.m at
>> line 110, column 7
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> p.s. we dropped off the list, so I've reattached you changeset, in case
>> others want to take a look.
>>

> Hi Ben.
>
> Concerning the error in __actual_axis_position__ it seems that an older
> bug has been triggered through my changes. Anyway the part of the code
> where the error occurs seems to be redundant as it tries to recalculate
> the plotboxaspectratio that we have already calculated in graphics.cc .
> So I believe this calculation should be better removed instead of been
> fixed. The changeset in the file "aspectratios3.changeset" removes this
> redundant code.
>
> After this, the changeset "aspectratios4.changeset" which is an updated
> version of "aspectratios2.changeset" can be applied as well.
>
> On my system with this two changesets (3 and 4) applied all axis demos
> worked well with the gnuplot backend.
>
> For demo("axis",1) I couldn't notice any unexpected behavior. Could you
> test these two patches and attach some screenshot if you find any error?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Kostas
> <aspectratios3.changeset><aspectratios4.changeset>

Both demo 1 and 5 still have problems with axis("equal"). This command should
produce an equal number of pixels per data unit for the x/y/z axes.

I've attached pdfs illustrating what I see for Matlab and for Octave (the
gnuplot backend). Using the FLTK backend, I get the correct result for the
first demo, but the 5th one gives a blank figure window.

Ben