Re: Comparing plots to Matlab

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Comparing plots to Matlab
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:11:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 02, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

Why are there scanlines or something like it in the fltk plots that
have colour patches? Is that a gl2ps artifact? How are vector graphics
supposed to represent colour patches? Is there a gl2ps configuration
option we can use to avoid those? It would be easier and better than
the other option of implementing printing with glReadPixels.

- Jordi G. H.

My understanding is that OpenGL triangulates all patches and then draws the triangles. By "scanlines" do you mean artifacts of that process?

I agree that reducing printed resolution to that of a computer display (72 to 140 dpi) would hide those lines, but all other small features would disappear as well. Also, I'm rather attached to the 600 dpi resolution of my printer.

Perhaps there is some other solution for producing output that will hide the triangular mesh?

Ben