Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 05:06:34 -0500

Looking back in my mail archive, I see we discussed releasing 3.4
about a year ago, then again in July, then yet again in September.  So
now you must be thinking that if I start to talk about a release, it
is probably just talk.  But really, I would like to make a release
relatively soon.  I think it is way overdue.  We are seeing a lot of
reports for bugs that have already been fixed.  We have a lot of new
features that people would probably like to be using.  So what
important things need to happen before we can create the 3.4.0
tarball?  My unordered list is

  * Take one last shot at editing and updating the NEWS file.

  * Update copyright years.

  * Add @DOCSTRING entries (and more descriptive info if possible) for
    all functions that are currently missing from the manual.

Some things that would be nice to have but not essential if they can't
or don't happen:

  * Other documentation edits/improvements.

  * Reduce the number of open bug reports.  I'm not concerned with
    trying to close all or even most of the current set of reports
    before the release, but we should try to fix critical problems,
    regressions, or problems that many people will likely notice.
    Browsing the list of open reports, it looks like many are graphics
    related, and then there are a few obscure problems or feature
    requests.  Are there any absolutely critical bugs that must be
    fixed before a release happens?  Maybe the problem with indexed
    assignment and empty arrays (bug #31287).  Are there any critical
    plotting problems?

  * Merge John Swensen's imread/imwrite changes.

  * Make FLTK plotting work well enough to use by default.  I doubt
    this is a reasonable goal for a time horizon of a few weeks, so I
    don't expect it.  But I think this should be a high priority for
    the next stable release after 3.4.

Anything else?

I could also list a lot of features that I would like to have, but
none are likely to happen in a few weeks, so it would probably be best
to not delay a release much longer.  We could do that forever (as it
seems we already have).

Comments?