bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)

From: benjamin lindner
Subject: bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:41:23 +0100

Hello,

I tried to build octave for MinGW platform with latest tip, but
bootstrapping now fails, since apparently this now requires git
available.
The fail is introduced with this changeset (rev 11521)
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/00fe5069b70e

Going back to rev 11520 everything works fine.

I used to invoke autoconf as
./autogen.sh --gnulib-srcdir=path/to//gnulib --skip-po --copy
but this now yields the error:

  bootstrapping...
  Error: 'git' not found

  Please install the prerequisite programs

I also tried to add the option '--no-bootstrap-sync' with no success.

Is there a way to use gnulib *without* requiring git?
Or am I using the bootstrap script the wrong way around?

benjamin