release branch created (was: Plans for branching for the release)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: release branch created (was: Plans for branching for the release)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:31:40 -0500

On 20-Jan-2011, John W. Eaton wrote:

|   * Branch for 3.4.  This branch will also exist as a named branch on
|     savannah.  But after the branch is made, I ask that people
|     continue to work on the default branch only, and let me know if
|     there are patches made to teh default branch that should be
|     considered for the release branch.  If I agree, then I'll
|     transplant the changes.

This has been done now, and the release branch has the version set to
3.3.90 as I'm in the process of making a snapshot to put on
alpha.gnu.org.

The default branch now has the version set to 3.5.0+ and is open for
any kinds of changes.

Please don't commit changes to the release-3-4-x branch without asking
me first.

Since the goal of the release branch is stability, I intend to
transplant bug fixes and documentation changes only.  Up until the
release, I will consider bug fixes that would introduce binary
incompatibility for .oct files.  After the release, we will stick to
changes that will preserve binary compatibility for .oct files, as we
have attempted to do for previous stable releases.