Re: Building on OSX without package managers

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building on OSX without package managers
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:35:37 -0500

On 24-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| I've had some success with building universal binaries with
| configure scripts on 64-bit Macs in the past, so I expect that I can
| eventually get it to work. It's also possible that a 64-bit-only
| version might be necessary. Does the --enable-64 function for
| indexing integer size require that the binary itself be 64-bit,
| though?

Unless you intend to use Octave for very large arrays and you have a
lot of memory (say at least 16GB) then you probably don't need to use
the --enable-64 configure option.

To understand what --enable-64 does, please read the section
"Compiling Octave with 64-bit Indexing" in the version of the Octave
manual that is distributed with Octave 3.3.55 or 3.3.90 (the section
was recently added, so it is not in older versions).