Re: bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:55:44 +0100

> If you'd like for there to be an option to pass to bootstrap to
> accomplish the same thing, then request that from the gnulib
> maintainers, or submit a patch for the bootstrap script to them and
> explain why it is needed.  Are you using git to pull the gnulib
> sources on another system, and using them on one that does not have
> git installed?  That seems like it could be a fairly common thing to
> do, so having an option that would not require you to remove or rename
> the .git subdirectory seems like a useful thing.

I have reported this on the gnulib mailing list, and an option
--no-git has been added to the bootstrap script. So using an msys
environment without git, and downloading a gnulib source code
snapshot, one can now bootstrap using the options "--no-git
--gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib"

Could you update the bootstrap script in octave's source tree to
reflect these changes in upstream gnulib?

benjamin