Re: bounds on position for text()

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: bounds on position for text()
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 15:16:07 -0800

On 02/06/2011 02:49 PM, logari81 wrote:
On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 17:21 -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:
>
> > A short while ago I created a bug report
> > (32311) which pointed out the fact that
> > text(x,y,"xxx') only works for x,y within the
> > axes. Matlab and legend allow writing the
> > string anywhere in the window.
> >
> > Since you just fixed legend, any chance
> > you could look at this?  Quite a lot of Matlab
> > code write annotations on plots using text
> > and positions this outside the axes.
> >
> > Michael
>
> I notice this work for the gnuplot backend, but not for the FLTK backend.
>
> It looks to me like something is checking the x/ydata values and not rendering the result if it is outsize the axis limits.
>
> I'd expect this to be done in gl_render.cc, but don't see where it is. I've cc'd Kostas, in case he knows where this is done.
>
> Ben

printing of text objects is done in draw_axes_children in gl-render.cc
after the clipping property is checked.

So it works if you just set clipping off, like:

set(ht,'clipping','off')

If it would make sense we could change the default clipping to on.

Kostas

I just tried this.  It does not work.
octave:1> ht=plot(1:200)
ht = -19.142
octave:2> set(ht,'clipping','off');
octave:3> text(200,-2,'this is it')
octave:4> set(ht,'clipping','on');
octave:5> text(200,-2,'this is it')
octave:6> text(200,2,'this is it')
octave:7> text(200,20,'this is it')
octave:8> text(201,20,'this is it')
octave:9>
None of the text commands with x,y outside axes prints.