Re: Mac OS X build reference?

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Mac OS X build reference?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:07:22 -0500

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:58 PM, fork wrote:

> Richard Campbell <rlcamp.pdx <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That basically means installing Xcode (off your Snow Leopard dvd if you don't
> want the ~1.6 GB download),
>> the gfortran from r.research.att.com, building gnu sed, pcre, flex, and
> gnuplot from source,
>> optionally building fftw and readline from source. PCRE is the only one of
> those mandatory dependencies
>> that needs to be compiled as a universal binary (but FFTW and readline and
> many other "optional"
>> dependencies also do).
>
> Can you install the dependencies into their own subdirectories (like
> /opt/pcre-2.32.3, /opt/fftw-xx.yy.zz etc) and then run configure with the
> appropriate switches?  I would like to do it this way so I can delete an
> entire
> package and not hunt through /usr/local/bin/* /usr/local/lib/* etc.

Apple installs nothing into /usr/local/ on a vanilla machine, so anything there
is yours - it functions the same as /opt.

Other things, such as sed, flex, and pcre, are already present in /usr,
supplied by Apple, but not compatible with the Octave build process. If you
install your versions in /usr/local then the Apple versions will still take
precedence and build will still fail. I recommend overwriting them with
--prefix=/usr, but if you wanted to preserve the Apple versions you could
install them to /usr/local (the default) or elsewhere, and manage the search
order yourself.

Furthermore, if you want to remove something, sometimes 'sudo make uninstall'
works, otherwise you can try 'sudo make install' and then delete all the files
with the new timestamp.