Re: Mac OS X build reference?

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Mac OS X build reference?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:14:51 -0500

On Feb 19, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:

>>> The ghostscript warning could be more clear. Without ghostscirpt, the only
>>> format you can print if eps.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Which is really not a problem on OSX, which can convert eps to anything -
>> and the results of rasterizing the eps in Preview, for example, are usually
>> much better-looking than if you printed directly to png from Octave. But
>> yeah, someone should submit a patch to make the warning clearer.
>>
>> Campbell
>

> Interesting. I hadn't thought to compare the anti-aliasing of ghostscript to
> Apple's preview.
>
> Does MacOS include ghostscript compatible utility on the command line?
>
> Ben

It has a pstopdf utility which is roughly the same as ps2pdf from Ghostscript.

If you want rasterized graphics though, you've got to open it in Preview and
save it as some other format. Conceivably you could write some AppleScript to
make Preview do this for you from the command line, but I don't envy the person
who takes that on.

Campbell