Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 59, Issue 110

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 59, Issue 110
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:56:09 -0500

On Feb 22, 2011, at 8:49 AM, bpabbott wrote:

On Feb 22, 2011, at 08:33 AM, Richard Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:55, Carlo de Falco <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2011/2/20 <address@hidden>:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:27:12 -0800
>> From: Rik <address@hidden>
>> To: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Octave Maintainers <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Adding requirement for PCRE in configure.ac
>>
>> 2/19/11
>>
>> John,
>>
>> Could you take a look at requiring building with PCRE in configure.ac? The
>> build experiences on Mac OS have demonstrated that POSIX regex are not
>> sufficient; moreover, most Octave coders were already implicitly writing
>> Perl-style regex. I just checked in a changeset which updates the
>> documentation and all of the regexp instances in the codebase to use PCRE
>> style expressions (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e4dbfe3019b1)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rik
>
> I found a bug in "get_forge_package" that was introduced
> by this changeset, a fix is in the bug tracker here:
>
> <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32559>
>
> I've not checked if other PCRE style regular expressions also have the
> same problem.
> c.

Believe me, there are more. There's one in __gnuplot_has_terminal.m iirc, and who knows how many others.

Campbell

Richard, I recall you (someone?) mentioning this before and proposing a change. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about it.

May I ask that you submit a changeset to the patch tracker?

I've begun looking at the patches there and hope to take care of most of them this week (unless someone beats me to it).

Ben

Ben,

It wasn't me, it was Rik. Here's the thread: https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-January/022648.html

I submitted a "require PCRE" patch some time ago and I don't see it on the list of patches now - I think someone else might have pushed a better one already.

Campbell

Campbell