Re: State of JIT compiler

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: State of JIT compiler
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:15:41 -0600

Note I'm replying on the maintainer's mailing list.

On 22 February 2011 21:05, leledumbo <address@hidden> wrote:

>> But it's great you're interested in implementing this. Notice I'm replying
> on the maintainers' mailing list. What help can we
>> offer to get you started?
>
> List of files containing the tree-walker code, that's all for a starting
> point. We'll see what I need in the future.

src/symtab.cc and src/oct-parse.yy should get you started.

>> Freemat includes a c++ wrapper for llvm to create some classes useful to
>> jit the matlab language and then some more code
>> for the glue to the parser. We can probably steal the first but would have
>> to rewrite the second
>
> Why not? Is FreeMat's license incompatible with Octave or what?

No, Freemat is also GPL, but I don't know which version. The problem
is that the parser code is completely specific to Freemat, since you
need to tailor it to their implementation of the interpreter. Octave's
implementation is of course completely different.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.