Re: I think I "broke" mkoctfile for 3.4.1

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: I think I "broke" mkoctfile for 3.4.1
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:13:15 -0500

2011/6/18 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 18-Jun-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | There's a change  I pushed on the stable branch for 3.4.1
> |
> |     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2c54fde0f397
> |
> | which breaks building some Octave-Forge packages.
[snip]

> | Should this change be backed out? I think breaking mkoctfile this way
> | and the missing symlink reported in the help mailing list is
> | sufficiently bad and I wish we had caught this before releasing 3.4.1.
>
> Yes, please undo this change.

Okay, done:

     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/00fbb05f099c

But I'm confused as to what the purpose of those lines that I
unpatched are. It seems to me that all they're for is for passing
warning flags to gcc through mkoctfile, not any other flag, and it's a
complete fluke that it worked for Octave-Forge packages. This seems
like a bug that we have to keep around now for backwards
compatibility. I guess I'm missing something obvious.

- Jordi G. H.