Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:44:54 +0100

 On 23/06/2011 11:32, Jacob Dawid wrote:
> The primary goal of free software (as I understand it of course) is to
> provide free, high-quality software and not to get as much users as
> possible. It is not in (technical) competition with proprietary
> software. The way to convince users to switch to a free operating
> system is not by showing them what is technically possible, but
> explaining and making them understand the philosophy behind free
> software. There may be people supporting all platforms equally, that's
> true, but they aim at a huge user base primarily.

If the primary goal is not to get as much users as possible then why are
there pages such as this:

On the GNU website.

A quick perusal of the philosophy section of the website certainly
indicates to me that uptake is a major concern.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Having more users of your piece of software would seem to have benefits
to me, but I am no free software guru or philosopher.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.