Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:55:28 -0400

On 27-Jun-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| Except building on Debian and Ubuntu is loads easier than building on
| Windows. We really lost some steam when Rafael Laboissiere retired
| from Debian packaging, but you and I regularly build on Debian, and we
| know it's not that bad.
|
| I'll work on the Debian packages this week, with some moderately
| high priority.

I probably don't understand the issues involved in building binary
packages (for Windows, Debian, OS X, or any system) but it seems to me
that once set up, it should be fairly trivial to generate the next
one.  Can you briefly explain why this is not the case?

Even for Windows, I don't see why it can't be scripted so that when a
new Octave release is available, you run a script and out pops a
binary installer.  I'm not saying that this will always work
perfectly, and I'm sure that it will require constant tweaking as
Octave changes and dependencies are added or change.  But it seems to
me that the effort required for those changes would be relatively
small compared to what is needed to set up the infrastructure and
build the first package.