Re: Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 00:49:30 +0200

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
On 7 July 2011 17:13, Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:

1. "clear all" leads to a complete crash.

Under all circumstances?

Always.
Even with the windows pkg unloaded (different than the 3.2.4 MinGW binary, that one at least survives a "clear all" with unloaded windows pkg). FYI, I only have the java, io & windows pkg + the script part of the linear-algebra-2.0.0 pkg installed.

2.  A Matlab script, made by a colleague, that I'm porting to Octave
creates 34 pictures. On some PC's, using fltk, doing "close all"
leads to a similar crash as 1. (above)

This is a long standing race condition with fltk, and I think it's the
biggest thing we have to fix before we switch the default plotting
engine from gnuplot to fltk. Known problem, also happens outside of
Windows.

While the script may be wrong (though it works OK with gnuplot),
Octave shouldn't crash that hard.

No, it shouldn't. A stupid workaround is to insert pauses after each
fltk plotting command so as to probably avoid the race condition.

Oh, yes I remember I read this some time ago (> 1 year?).

Even as a workaround this had better be in the octave sources rather than in the user script we're working on.

3. With that script, again on some PCs only, using fltk, titles
appear only on the first plot. Using gnuplot all plots get the
proper titles.

4. Again, on some PCs only, text output in fltk pics is gibberish.
May be due to lacking fonts - I haven't had time to investigate.
Gnuplot plots are fine.

These two may be again more UB symptoms of the same race condition.
Does the stupid workaround described above also work on these?

I'll check at work tomorrow (if I've got time).

Issue 1. is already known (though I couldn't spot the bug entry).

I'm a bit reluctant about entering bug tracker entries for issues
2-4 as not all of these are fully repeatable on all PCs I tested on.

I thought we had a report for the fltk race condition, but can't find
it. I think all we ever did was discuss it extensively in the mailing
list. If you can't find a report for it in the bug tracker, and if 3
and 4 are indeed also symptoms, it may be worthwhile reporting it.

First I'll investigate a little bit further.

Thanks Jordi,

P.