Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:31:18 -0500

2011/6/30 Daniel Kraft <address@hidden>:
> Attached is my current working code for the first experimental
> profiler.

I have pushed your code on the default branch, along with the
following minor stylistic fixes:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c499d54796d6

To wit: retval is the traditional name for that variable, and the
argument validation tends to be more lax, allowing the errors with
wrong numbers of arguments to be reported later in the call stack.
There is also a tradition of marking internal functions with leading
underscores and to intentionally not document them, but I think this
is less important, and we can do this later if necessary once you
finalise the interface.

I briefly tested your code, and it seems to work. Looks like a solid
initial implementation. Can you quickly mimic the Matlab interface to
profiling? I think this should be quick and should not take longer
than a week. The next step I'd like to see after that is to produce
hierarchical profiling output and to also count operators in the
profiling output.

I've also submitted a midterm evaluation for you in Google's website,
so you should be hearing from Google soon.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.