Re: Octave Code Sprint Goal Finalized

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave Code Sprint Goal Finalized
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:52:39 -0700 (PDT)

Rik-4 wrote:

> The first Octave Code Sprint is taking shape.  For more details, also
> watch
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/sprint.html.
> <snip>
> individuals working alone. The goal for Octave sprint #1 is
>
>           Reduce the number of untested functions by 1/2
>
> <snip>
> The finalized goal as of July 12th is to resolve testing issues for 191
> functions (382/2).  A list of the files which need resolution can be found
> here &lt;http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?CodeSprintFiles&gt;.

One file, textread.m, can probably be scrapped from the list.

I've been working the last months (at a very low pace) on the trio
textscan.m, textread.m and strread.m to fix bugs, add lacking functionality,
and make them more ML-compatible (quite overlapping goals), a.o. some of the
issues in bugs #33680 (preview of the results uploaded to that bug item),
#33536, #32720, #33028 (already applied), #31778, #31380, and maybe some
more.
In the course of that I've added several tests to these three files,
including to textread.m.

(All of these issues are strongly related, if not entangled, mostly because
of the way strread.m has been set up and because strread.m does all of the
hard work for textscan.m and textread.m.
I needed more ML-compatible versions of these functions as at work we have
many ML-scripts that invoke them. I hope to be able to run all those with
Octave as well.)

FYI & for completeness, a test section for textread is copied verbatim
below.
All we need to test is if textread.m can read a file at all, and if it can
skip a specified number of headerlines - all the remaining functionality is
in strread.m and tested there.

I doubt if I will be able to join the Code Sprint, but anyway here's a first
contribution.

Philip

## Test section for textread: check file reading and headerlines
%!test
%! f = tmpnam();
%! d = rand (5, 3);
%! dlmwrite (f, d, 'precision', '%5.2f');
%! [a, b, c] = textread (f, "%f %f %f", "delimiter", ",", "headerlines", 3);
%! unlink(f);
%! assert (a, d(4:5, 1), 1e-5);
%! assert (b, d(4:5, 2), 1e-5);
%! assert (c, d(4:5, 3), 1e-5);