Re: Sample Matlab profiler output

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Sample Matlab profiler output
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:08:21 -0500

On 15 July 2011 05:36, Richard <address@hidden> wrote:

> When you use the profiler in Matlab it is generally done through a
> standalone GUI which calls profile for you.

I don't know if that's how it's generally done. The guy who provided
me with the profiler output said he never used the Matlab GUI much. I
don't think it's so important to worry right now about how the Matlab
GUI for profiling works as it is to make sure we collect the same (or
more!) information and then somehow present it nicely, whether gprof
output to process later with some other tool, or some other format we
can think of, and we have the same callable functions as Matlab.

> personally I would leave profile as it is (since one of aims of
> octave is to match the matlab syntax in most cases) and have a
> separate function do the text display, or alternatively add an
> option to profshow.

What do you mean, "as it is"? As the code that Daniel just submitted?

> If doing a text display I would consider having an option of a text
> file to output to, as the results could be a hell of a lot of text
> to display in the output window in many cases.

If there's too much text, that's what pagers are for. But I don't
generally see people wanting to see profiler output in plaintext
formats. Plaintext is usually something you feed to gprof or whatever
else we come up with that then produces the graphs and the summaries.

- Jordi G. H.