Re: Better wiki (ACK)

From: etienne
Subject: Re: Better wiki (ACK)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:43:58 -0700

  Just to ack. Will read thread in detail in 7-8h.

  Cheers,

  Etienne

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:31:50 -0400) wrote:

On  2-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| 2011/8/2 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
|
| > | (and make a better Octave wiki)?
| >
| > That would be great. What do you have in mind?
|
| Mediawiki would be great.
|
| > What software is used to run the current wiki?
|
| I believe it's ikiwiki. I don't like it very much.
|
| > Is there something better that we could be using? I could easily
| > install MediaWiki on www.octave.org.
|
| That would be very nice if you wanted to do it. I've done Mediawiki
| installs myself other times, and it was easy enough.

My hosting service offers it as a "one-click install".  So installing
it should be easy.  Configuring it and making it look like the rest of
the Octave site will require some more work.  But I should be able to
install it easily enough.

| What I think is
| gonna be laborious is to convert ikiwiki to mediawiki. I forget who
| was administrating the wiki, but if I could get a database dump, I
| could probably hack together a conversion script in Perl from ikiwiki
| to Mediawiki.

Etienne Grossmann, I think.

| > Currently, www.octave.org is separate from the gnu.org site and
| > could be used to host a few things that we can't run on the gnu.org
| > site, like a wiki, or a bug tracker (if we decided to use something
| > other than the one available on savannah), or anything else that
| > requires a database or much server-side scripting, etc.
|
| or Agora. ;-)

Would Agora be a good place to have links to free software packages
that work with Octave but that are not maintained by Octave (or Octave
Forge) developers?

http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne