Re: svds test failures

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: svds test failures
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:13:31 +0900 (JST)

Hello

I have build the recent dev. source on MinGW.
and two errors on svds.m are found.

For the first FAIL is perhaps similar to that pointed out by Marco.

To see the second fail, I have executed,
 octave:6> format long
octave:7>  s = svds (speye (10));
octave:8> s
s =

   1.00000000000000
   1.00000000000000
   1.00000000000000
   1.00000000000000
   1.00000000000000
   1.00000000000000

octave:9> ones (6, 1)
ans =

   1
   1
   1
   1
   1
   1

octave:10> assert (s,ones (6, 1),2 * eps)
octave:11>

From the command line the above test does not give fail.   ????

Regards

Tatsuro

  ***** testif HAVE_UMFPACK
 [u2,s2,v2,flag] = svds(A,k,0,opts);
 s2 = diag(s2);
 assert(flag,!1);
 assert(s2, s(k:-1:1), 1e-10);
!!!!! test failed
assert (s2,s (k:-1:1),1e-10) expected
   38.060
   38.034
   38.034
   38.015
   38.015
   38.004
   38.004
but got
   38.034
   38.034
   38.015
   38.015
   38.004
   38.004
Dimensions don't match

  ***** test
 s = svds (speye (10));
 assert (s, ones (6, 1), 2*eps);
!!!!! test failed
assert (s,ones (6, 1),2 * eps) expected
   1
   1
   1
   1
   1
   1
but got
   1.0000
   1.0000
   1.0000
   1.0000
   1.0000
   1.0000
maximum absolute error 6.66134e-016 exceeds tolerance 4.44089e-016
shared variables
  scalar structure containing the fields:

    n =  100
    k =  7
    A =

Compressed Column Sparse (rows = 100, cols = 100, nnz = 296 [3%])

  (1, 1) ->  40
<snip>