Re: Better wiki

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Better wiki
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:52:22 -0400

On 23-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| 2011/8/2 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
| > On  2-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
| >
| > | 2011/8/2 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | Mediawiki would be great.
| > |

| > My hosting service offers it as a "one-click install". So installing
| > it should be easy. Configuring it and making it look like the rest
| > of the Octave site will require some more work. But I should be able
| > to install it easily enough.
|
| Turns out I was mistaken. It's Oddmuse. It appears that there is a
| Mediawiki script for converting from Oddmuse to Mediawiki. I haven't
| tried it yet. Would you like me to try it locally before you install
| Mediawiki in octave.org?

It would be great if you could easily do that.  If not, I think I can
set up a mediawiki instance for you to use for testing purposes.  It
should be fairly easy for me to do that.

| I really want to give maintenance to the Octave webpages. I was even
| thinking of a complete graphic redesign with Django. I'm not good at
| graphical web design, but I have friends who may want to help out. I
| was thinking of sticking to the white/yellow/blue theme that Fotios
| has already started with the logo and we mostly already have. Would it
| be possible to get shell access to do this?

The web pages on gnu.org have to be maintained using CVS so there is
no shell access for that.  You can check them out from savannah
following the directions given here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=octave

I would also like to update the web pages, mostly to simplify the
layout and to eliminate obsolete info.  If you do a redesign, could
you please post some screenshots for discussion before committing the
changes?