Re: Problem building from 13027:b9a89ca0fb75

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problem building from 13027:b9a89ca0fb75
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:40:17 -0400

On Aug 29, 2011, at 9:04 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 29-Aug-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
> | I tried to build with tip ...
> |
> | $ hg tip
> | changeset:   13027:b9a89ca0fb75
> | tag:         tip
> | user:        John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
> | date:        Mon Aug 29 13:07:22 2011 -0400
> | summary:     prevent optimization functions from setting ans in workspace
> at startup
> |
> | ... and encountered the error below when linking liboctave.
> |
> | libtool: link: /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.4 -dynamiclib  -o
> .libs/liboctave.0.dylib [... snip ...]
>
> You snipped out some important stuff, like which libraries and options
> are used in the link command...
>
> | ld: warning: directory not found for option
> '-L/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc44/gcc44/work/build/x86_64-apple-darwin11/libstdc++-v3/src'
> | ld: warning: directory not found for option
> '-L/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc44/gcc44/work/build/x86_64-apple-darwin11/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs'
> | Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
> |   "_METIS_NodeComputeSeparator", referenced from:
> |       _cholmod_metis_bisector in libcholmod.a(cholmod_metis.o)
> |   "_METIS_NodeND", referenced from:
> |       _cholmod_metis in libcholmod.a(cholmod_metis.o)
> | ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> |
> | After reverting to 13021 (hg revert --rev 13021 --all), I am able to build
> again.
> |
> | The "METIS" stuff is due to MacPort's SuiteSparse package I'm linking to.
>
> What is the definition of CHOLMOD_LIBS in your generated
> liboctave/Makefile?
>
> Octave's configure script does not check for the metis library because
> it is not free software.  That hasn't changed.  So if your version of
> the cholmod library depends on the metis library, but the metis code
> is in a separate library, haven't you had to specify that to configure
> in the past?
>
> If not, please send the entire link command so I can see all the
> options that were given to libtool, and also show the linker command
> that libtool generated.
>
> jwe

The following lines are from the liboctave/Makefile. These are the same
settings I see when the error occurs and when octave builds successfully.

 576 CHOLMOD_CPPFLAGS =
 577 CHOLMOD_LDFLAGS =
 578 CHOLMOD_LIBS = -lcholmod

I use a script to configure octave using MacPorts for the dependencies. It is
attached. There is no mention of the metis libs, but it has been working for
me. If the metis libs should be listed, I can do that.

I've attached my notes which include the information you asked for.

I problem appears to have been introduced by rev 13024.

Ben