Re: tests in log-scale plots

From: Kai Habel
Subject: Re: tests in log-scale plots
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:47:41 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:42:47 -0400
> Von: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
> An: "Kai Habel" <address@hidden>
> CC: Carlo de Falco <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Betreff: Re: tests in log-scale plots

> On  6-Sep-2011, Kai Habel wrote:
>
> | you are right, I think a lot of test are possible for the graphic
> | function when using a hidden figure. I have recently commited some
> | test for the scripts in the plot directory.
> |
> | Take a look at: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5553412c6614
> | e.g. line.m
>
> Things like this are OK if they are actually testing something.  But
> I think we should avoid relying on tests like
>
>   %!test
>   %! figure (1, 'visible', 'off')
>   %! clf ();
>   %! plot (something);
>
> Sure, this tests that the plot function executes without error, but it
> doesn't tell us anything about whether the plot is correct.

Sure, but as Carlo has said, it is already useful to check whether the
properties are set correctly and if graphic objects are created or deleted
accordingly, isn't it?

> Also, not that we should cover up bugs, but weren't there problems
> with using "figure (1, 'visible', 'off')" with the OpenGL+FLTK
> plotting?  It seems to work for me now, but I remember a bug report
> about this and I don't remember it being fixed for everyone.

There is still a problem for Ben's MacOS setup. It is not clear whether its a
general MacOS problem or if it is something specific for Ben's installation. I
think he is currently changing his setup, maybe it works then.

But since the default graphic backend is still gnuplot, these test should run
fine for make check.

Kai

P.S.

@Carlo: can you please check whether bug #31931 does crash octave for you as
well.

Does the following work for you on MacOS 10.6?

graphics_toolkit fltk ;
figure (1, "visible", "off");
sombrero;
figure (1, "visible", "on");