Re: Release plans for the GUI

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Release plans for the GUI
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:52:58 +0200

Michael,

I think disputing about personal preferences gets us nowhere. Are you able you tweak the bitbucket source and implement a platform-dependent terminal solution?

2011/9/9 Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I just came back from the funeral of my grandfather, so I had no time to
> reply earlier.

Sorry about that.

> The biggest problem with the GUI is the terminal thing. The reason I threw
> out Konsole is that it's drawing itself, which is not a performance issue
> but it breaks the overall look and feel of the application and is quite
> buggy when losing and gaining focus (sometimes it did not redraw, sometimes
> it did). Also, the solution to use a terminal emulation is ugly and can only
> be a temporary one. We just use it because we have no other option that
> works left over at the moment.

I disagree. IMO the reasons we (should) use a terminal emulation are:
1) it's an off-the-shelf component that we don't have to re-develop; and we
   can easily benefit from upstream bug fixes and improvements
2) it provides exactly the same behavior, whether you start octave in
   a terminal or withing a full blown GUI
So the choice of a terminal emulation is not because there's nothing else
we can use, it's intentional.

> Long-term: Tweak octave so we can connect directly to it. We are already
> starting octave in the same process (we call octave_main(..) in a separate
> (software) thread), so we are sharing memory with octave. We don't need any
> pipes and no platform-selective terminal emulation here.

I assume you're talking here about (re-)implementing a REPL system that
would integrate nicely with a GUI?

Michael.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .