Re: OSX: Limited mouse functionality in gnuplot window

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: OSX: Limited mouse functionality in gnuplot window
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:25:53 -0400

On Sep 15, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:

> Am 15.09.2011 um 14:16 schrieb Ben Abbott:
>
>> The x11 window will also display the mouse position in the lower left of the
>> figure window, and will use a larger linewidth and font weight.
>
> Ben,
>
> I should have written "definitely x11", sorry. As I said, I don't have
> aquaterm installed or compiled in, see below:
>
>> uni% gnuplot
>>
>>      G N U P L O T
>>      Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
>>      last modified 31 Aug 2007
>>      System: Darwin 9.8.0
>>
>>      Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
>>      Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
>>
>>      Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
>>      The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/
>>
>>      Send bug reports and suggestions to
>> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot>
>>

>> Terminal type set to 'x11'
>> gnuplot> set term aqua
>>                  ^
>>         unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a
>> list
>
> gnuplot>
>

> On the other hand, when I do
>
> octave:10> plot_stream=__gnuplot_open_stream__ (1 )
> plot_stream =  8
> octave:11> fprintf(plot_stream,"splot sin(x)*cos(y) wi pm3d\n")
> octave:12> fflush (plot_stream )
>
> then I get a window where the mouse works.
>
>> The x11 window will also display the mouse position in the lower left of the
>> figure window, and will use a larger linewidth and font weight.
>
> Now that's interesting, since what I get from my X11 terminal looks pretty
> much like what you get from aquaterm in terms of line style and font weight,
> _and_ I don't see any coordinates in the lower left (see attached image)!
>
>       Alex

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of 3.2.4 running on my Mac to experiment
with.  Thus, we're running different versions of Octave, and MacOS. Given the
difference in appearance, it looks like we're running different x11 apps as
well. Where did you get your x11 from?

Any chance you use MacPorts? If so, you can upgrade to Octave 3.4.x (which I am
able to run).

Ben