Re: tolerance in binopdf.m

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: tolerance in binopdf.m
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:59:05 -0500

Just for fun, I asked someone to run this program on a Macintosh:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

    int main()
    {
      printf("%0.100f\n",lgamma(3.0));
    }

It turns out it does run, i.e. it does have an lgamma implementation.
However, the exact value it outputs is 390207173010335/2^49, while on
my Debian system, the exact value it outputs is
31216573840826795/2^52. It seems that somewhere along the way, 3 bits
of precision were lost on the Macintosh.

So I don't think there's anything we can do other than increase the
tolerance by 3 bits to account for this. We already increase tolerance
slightly for other systems for other tests.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.