Re: Finally, succesful developer build on OSX.

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Finally, succesful developer build on OSX.
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:43:02 -0400

On Sep 21, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:

> Am 20.09.2011 um 20:35 schrieb John W. Eaton:
>
>> This problem has been reported before, and I think it is due to a
>> version of flex that generates bad code.
>>
>> [...]
>> What version of flex do you have?
>
> [nothing:~] prog% flex --version
> flex 2.5.35
>
> Is any version known to work correctly on OSX?
>
>       Alex

You can get some hints as to what is needed by looking over etc/README.MacOS

        flex >= 2.5.30
        autoconf >= 2.6.0
        automake >= 1.11

I'm using the flex, autoconf, and automake from macports. The macport's flex
has the same version number (2.5.35) as that which comes with Lion
(/usr/bin/flex).

Apple's version of flex never worked for me. We discussed the problem on this
list in 2009. Link below.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/error-invalid-character-ASCII-0-near-line-164-column-2-td1640407.html

We eventually concluded that Apple's patch below is responsible ...

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/flex/flex-24.1/patches/scanEOF.diff

... and that a non-Apple-fied variant is needed.

Ben