Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 00:39:32 +0300

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:01:39 +0200
Victor Salit <address@hidden> wrote:
> As for the software, there will always be proprietary soft even in
> the linux world. Even if there will be a miracle and large
> corporations will all of a sudden wake up and install linux, they
> will still need a reliable partner and choose Enterprise editions
> over community distros. Everything that this partner will do as part
> of their service contract for any given corporation will be
> inevitably closed source.

Not entirely true. For instance Red Hat releases the source RPMs for
the enterprise edition, which has made it possible for other people to
make binary compatible clones (CentOS, Scientific Linux etc). (Which is
one of the reasons why I decided to contribute in Fedora.)

Of course, the real thing also has some proprietary closed-source
software included, mainly the types of Adobe Flash.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor