Re: Ideas for auto BSX

From: Dr. Alexander Klein
Subject: Re: Ideas for auto BSX
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 12:35:45 +0200

Am 30.09.2011 um 23:18 schrieb fork:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> So, while I think this is quite useful, it should by no means be
>> called "-" in my opinion. Perhaps ".-" would do? I've never seen
>> anyone use this.
>
> I think making the .-, .*, etc "broadcastable", and keeping -, *, etc with
> their
> standard linear algebra interpretations, makes the most sense.

Good morning,

I've yet another idea based on Kronecker algebra!

If you look at the situation in 3.4.x, we have the following:

+, -, *, /, and ^ compute what you'd expect from standard linear algebra
without surprises, with / not being standard notation.

.+, .-, .*, ./, and .^ compute what you'd expect from standard Hadamard linear
algebra without surprises.

With the BSX extensions - and + can compute "Kroneckerised" versions of the
operations, still leaving the general Kronecker product for matrices to kron().

Why not introduce five new two-character infix operators, like for example $+,
$-, $*, $/, $^, or whatever instead of $ fits in the first position?

This way, we'd have all three concepts cleanly and separately implemented
without surprises, _and_ get a general Kronecker algebra implementation, which
is really important in certain areas of physics.

What do you think?

        Alex

--
          Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker

Physiologisches Institut       |               TransMIT Zentrum
Raum 543                       |        für Numerische Methoden
Aulweg 129                     |          Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44
35392 Giessen                  |                  35392 Giessen