Re: `argn' ? … still part of Octave?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: `argn' ? … still part of Octave?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:24:27 +0100

On 26 October 2011 19:09, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26-Oct-2011, Carnë Draug wrote:
> | But maybe it's meant to be used as 'addRequired (p, ...)' and the
> | argument is modifed rather than returned.
>
> Yes, I think that is what happens.  This class is implemented using
> handle class semantics.  Octave does not have this feature yet.  I
> don't think you can fake it and make it work in all instances.  So you
> can try all you like with assignin, but as I think I showed, that will
> not work in all cases.  I think it's a bad feature to use a kluge like
> assignin that will only sometimes work.  From my perspective, it would
> be much better to spend time working on making handle classes work in
> Octave.

I totally understand that and I would help make handle classes work in
octave but I have no useful knowledge for that as I never learned any
C programming. I don't have any need for the inputParser utility,
specially not in a MatLab compatible mode. I'm just doing it for the
fun and would like to see it on octave-core one day because I thought
it would be something useful since almost all functions need a way to
check arguments. As such, whatever you decide the API should be is
fine with me.

Carnë