Re: Thread-safety issues in QtHandles

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Thread-safety issues in QtHandles
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 15:15:02 -0500

On  7-Nov-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| Clearly, there's a performance penalty, as using shared_ptr is heavier
| than simply count++. OTOH, the gain - thread-safety - is also non
| negligible.

Yes, I don't expect to get that completely for free, but I was not
expecting a 25% increase in execution time.  To me, the bad thing
about this is it affects all users, not just those that care about
thread safety.  As far as I know, there is nothing in the test suite
that really depends on multiple threads.  So as a hypothetical user of
some code that doesn't rely on having multiple threads running in the
Octave interpreter, I would not like to see that code to suddenly be
25% slower because of a feature I'm not even using and don't need.