Re: 3.6.0 release

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: 3.6.0 release
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:58:58 -0500

2011/11/24 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 22-Nov-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | On 22 November 2011 16:36, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> |
> | > If you know of important problems that should be fixed, please make
> | > sure they are in the bug tracker and listed with a serverity of
> | > important or blocker.
> |
> | I have one. Or three. Binary packaging. Can we really concentrate on
> | making sure binary packaging is working on the three major platforms
> | before we announce a new release?
>
> If we had waited for binaries for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE,
> Windows, and OS X before announcing Octave 3.4.0, then we would still
> not have a release announcement.

I didn't mean that. I just meant to have a reasonable expectation that
the packagers for those distributions have been contacted, and to work
closely with them when possible. I am not sure, perhaps I'm asking for
for something unreasonable, but I would like to see something done to
improve binary packaging and to take this effort seriously for 3.6. Is
there anything we can do other than hope that people other than us do
the packaging?

For my own part, I want to see the Debian packaging done, and that's
what I've been working and want to keep working for the release. It
seems most GNU/Linux users are getting their Octave packages from
Ubuntu, hence from Debian.

- Jordi G. H.