Re: MacOS X GUI build

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: MacOS X GUI build
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:18:58 +0000

On 31/01/2012 12:03, Jacob Dawid wrote:

> Am 31. Januar 2012 12:04 schrieb Richard Crozier
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>:
>

>     On 31/01/2012 01:21, Ben Abbott wrote:
>     > On Jan 30, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>     >
>     >> The terminal font is too small for my taste, and readline doesn't
>     >> appear to be function. But octave is functional. I think the octave
>     >> the gui is the one I have installed (older, but recent version) so
>     >> that may explain the readline problem.
>     >
>     > I'm able to improve the fontsize by editing the size coded
>     > into QUnixTerminalImpl.cpp
>     >
>     > When I run the gui, I see some errors in the terminal.
>     >
>     > I can't cut-n-paste from the terminal, so I took a picture of it.
>     It is
>     > attached.
>     >
>     > Ben
>     >

>     I haven't looked at the code, but perhaps Qt does not find the font
>     specified in the code and uses whatever is the default fall-back.
>
>     I moved to using the free font
>     Inconsolat(http://levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html) to achieve
>     the same results on all platforms in QtOctave. You can ship it with the
>     GUI and have it always use this font which is stored in a local folder
>     (so it does not have to be installed on the user's system).
>
>     Richard
>
>     --
>     The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
>     Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
>

> I have already updated qterminal so that it searches for Monaco as a
> font on a Mac.

Ok, but what will it be on Windows, (or Android, some day, etc. etc.) I
think using a free font is also more in keeping with the GNU ethos?
Users could then select from other detected fonts on their system if
they prefer.

This way, the default look and feel will be maintained across platforms
and you won't have to worry about how things will behave so much. For
instance in QtOctave I was binding the CTRL++ CTRL+- keys to increase
and decrease the font sizes in all windows with an aim one day to
provide an 'Accessibility Mode' for the visually impaired, it will be
more difficult to know what the correct settings are on all platforms
without a known font for this.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.