Re: MacOS X GUI build

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: MacOS X GUI build
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:10:56 -0500

On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:04 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

> On 31/01/2012 01:21, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> The terminal font is too small for my taste, and readline doesn't
>>> appear to be function. But octave is functional. I think the octave
>>> the gui is the one I have installed (older, but recent version) so
>>> that may explain the readline problem.
>>
>> I'm able to improve the fontsize by editing the size coded
>> into QUnixTerminalImpl.cpp
>>
>> When I run the gui, I see some errors in the terminal.
>>
>> I can't cut-n-paste from the terminal, so I took a picture of it. It is
>> attached.
>>
>> Ben
>
> I haven't looked at the code, but perhaps Qt does not find the font
> specified in the code and uses whatever is the default fall-back.
>
> I moved to using the free font
> Inconsolat(http://levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html) to achieve
> the same results on all platforms in QtOctave. You can ship it with the
> GUI and have it always use this font which is stored in a local folder
> (so it does not have to be installed on the user's system).
>
> Richard

There have been a discussions of including free fonts as part of Octave as
support for the graphics backend. That would allow Octave to use a font as a
default and be sure it is present. (we occasionally get reports of bugs due to
missing fonts)

I don't think any fonts have been bundled yet.

If anyone is inclined to work on that, it would be helpful.

Ben