Re: Treat TeX in plot text in a Matlab compatible matter with gnuplot en

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Treat TeX in plot text in a Matlab compatible matter with gnuplot enhanced mode
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:25:50 -0600

On 02/22/2012 01:34 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

1) Would it be nice to have gnuplot's "enhanced" mode more extensive so
that is might interpret '\mu', '\lfloor' and so on? Or do you think
Octave can handle that? X11 terminal is one of many terminals. Would
Octave gnuplot backend know how to handle, say, png or jpeg terminals?

2) Should Octave handle placing $.$ math mode characters behind the
scenes for pslatex family of output? Or would you like to see an
'enhanced' mode for gnuplot pslatex terminals? (I think I'd like the
latter for consistency in gnuplot as well...could always use the
'noenhanced' option for finer control of LaTeX, but I think that would
be a rare thing.) How should the LaTeX enhanced mode work? Should it
interpret everything as in math mode? E.g., 'x^2' means $x^2$ for which
the x comes out italic. Or something similar to X11? E.g., 'x^2' means
$\mathrm{x}^2$ for which the x comes out non-italic?

Here's a third issue (and a fourth).

3) What is happening with the axis tick labels? In Octave I'm seeing labels like 10^{-4}, 10^{-3}, etc., and there doesn't seem to be any way of controlling the string interpreter for those labels. Is gnuplot generating those, or is it Octave? They too cause an issue with not compiling properly in LaTeX. Do the tick labels fall under 'enhanced'?

4) Should the interpreter setting be inherited from the plot? That is, if I do

p = plot([1:50], [1:50].^2);
set(p, 'interpreter', 'none');
xlabel('x');
ylabel('x^2');

shouldn't the labels then have no interpretation? Currently they have 'tex' interpretation regardless of what the plot's interpreter is set to previous.

Dan