Very slow startup on Windows

From: David Boone
Subject: Very slow startup on Windows
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:06:36 -0800

Hi all,

On Windows XP, I've been running into the issue where just starting the octave
process takes several minutes to complete.  During this time, CPU usage is
100%, but no other activity seems to be occurring (ie, no disk access, no
network access.)  Using Process Explorer doesn't show any open files during
this time.  RAM stays at 16,000 K most of the time but occasionally drops to ~
14,100 K for a very brief periods of time.  After a few minutes the process
finally spits out the name & copyright info and from then on appears to
function normally and quickly.

I've reproduced this with both 3.4 and 3.6 and on more than 1 XP machine.  With
3.6 I even used a fresh install of XP and Octave within Virtualbox and the
problem remained, even with this virgin environment.

Any help or ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated,

Thank-you

- Dave