Re: 3.6.1 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 3.6.1 release
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:30:05 -0500

On 25-Feb-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| On 02/24/2012 09:44 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

| > |
| > |
| > | So are we gonna have a release party or what? I'm still saving the
| > | champagne from the 3.6.0 party we missed.
| >
| > Does the following look OK as a release announcement?
|
| Looks great!
|
| At http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-3.6.html
|
| 1) Typo "fucntion has bbeen recoded" [note two typos...and don't say
| this out loud in mixed company]
|
| 2) Search the page for "cellstr input".  Sometimes "cellstr input"
| appears and sometimes "cellstr inputs" appears, but often it seems just
| the singular 'input' is appropriate.

Rik checked in a change that I think fixes these and I updated the web
page with the NEWS for 3.6.

| 3) For the deprecated functions, perhaps alternate recommended function
| could be included because the functions won't be present to return
| recommended alternates anymore.  I.e. (the ? I don't know about, e.g.,
| str2mat really isn't something I used often, cell strings work better):

During the two release cycles when the functions are deprecated but
remain in Octave, I think they give warnings that point to the
alternative functions.  But yes, I suppose it could still be useful to
list the alternatives in the news file for those people who are
upgrading from very old versions.

I updated my announcement slightly.  Are there any more suggestions
before I send this out?

  Subject: GNU Octave 3.6.1 Released
  From: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>

  The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of GNU
  Octave 3.6.1.  This version is a major new release.  Please see
  http://octave.org/NEWS-3.6.html for a list of significant user-visible
  changes in this release.

  The source code for Octave 3.6.1 is available for download at:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

  Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around
  the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave and you
  will be redirected automatically to a nearby mirror.

  Links to binary (executable) versions for various systems will be
  listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
  available.

  Please follow the guidelines at http://octave.org/bugs.html to report
  problems.

  As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
  list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.

  If you find Octave useful, you are encouraged to contribute to its
  future development.  The Free Software Foundation's Working Together
  for Free Software campaign fund now accepts donations for Octave at
  https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

  About Octave:

  GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
  for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
  numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems, and for
  performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
  graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
  is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
  it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
  language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
  portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at
  http://octave.org/docs.html.