When cross compiling how to tell ./configure where libraries are?

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: When cross compiling how to tell ./configure where libraries are?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:39:10 -0800

So, I see that you can use these to tell it where some of the libraries are:

--with-fftw3-libdir
--with-fftw3-includedir
--with-blas
--with-lapack
etc

but, I don't see how to tell it where pcre and readline are.  I tried a couple of things like --with-pcre-libdir and --with-pcre-includedir, but that was in vain.  What is the right way to do this?  Maybe I should manually move these where it is looking?  Where might that be?

Thanks,
Corbin