Bessel Functions and Thumbscrews

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Bessel Functions and Thumbscrews
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:58:37 -0800

Following up on a post and bug report several weeks ago.

I have attached a patch in which I added a bunch of tests to bessel{j,y,i,k}. The existing tests were fine, but the Amos code (libcruft/amos) uses different algorithms for different orders and arguments and the existing tests were for small values of the order and magnitude. I created a subset of the tables in Abramowitz and Stegun and compared the octave results to the tables. In particular for large order/arguments Amos used the asymptotic expansion and so one might expect some differences (and there are).

I also added tests to cover the bug that set me off on this mission - checking that negative integer orders give the correct answers.

Bob