Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:37:10 -0400

On 16-Mar-2012, oz123 wrote:

| About what should be in the Manual. The manual is pretty big, and I admit I
| never read all of it. There's just not enough time. Some of the installation
| info is found in INSTALL.OCTAVE found with the sources,

*ALL* of the install information that is part of the installation
chapter in the manual is found in the INSTALL.OCTAVE file because
INSTALL.OCTAVE *IS* the chapter in the manual on installation.  It
generated automatically as part of the build process, and it is
included in the source distributions of Octave.

| For them it would be nice maybe to have a nice manual or
| html page or that wiki page which covers everything from A-Z on how to
| install octave. In the manual this is section G.1.1, which is not available
| when you down load the source, if you don't know how to use make (because
| the manual is coming as latex sources...).

The source distribution of Octave includes the complete manual in
several formats: PostScript, PDF, Info, HTML, and DVI.  How many more
formats do you need?  These generated files are included along with
the sources.  You don't need to run make to get them.  And the
installation chapter is in the top-level directory as INSTALL.OCTAVE.

| Finally, I'd like to request: let me restore that content on the page in the
| Wiki. I think it's very good page, and I think it should be available for
| people searching for solutions.

No, as far as I could tell, it was just a copy of what was already in
the installation chapter from the manual.  If not, and there was
something more in the wiki page, then please put that information in the
manual.

The wiki page has a link that points directly to the HTML page that is
the installation guide.