Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 14:58:50 +0100

On 5 April 2012 14:51, Sébastien Villemot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2012/4/5 Sébastien Villemot <address@hidden>:
>>> During the installation it is possible to only install Octave without
>>> the Octave-Forge packages (by unclicking a checkbox).
>>
>> People are basically illiterate. They don't care what they're
>> installing or why. They just want "everything". They need a little
>> guidance here.
>>
>>> From my point of view, if the user installs the Octave-Forge packages,
>>> he expects them to be autoloaded. At least this is the policy that we
>>> adopted in the Debian Octave Group.
>>
>> Debian users have a habit to pay attention to what they're installing
>> and will complain loudly if packages they don't recognise are being
>> installed. Windows users have the habit of
>> "next->next->I-agree->next->next->done".
>
> So what is your suggestion for the behaviour of the installer if the
> user accepts all the defaults?
>
> - install octave-forge pkgs and mark them as autoload=yes (current behavior)
> - install octave-forge pkgs and mark them as autoload=no
> - do not install octave-force pkgs (but mark them as autoload=yes if the
>  user decides to install them)
> - do not install octave-force pkgs (but mark them as autoload=no if the
>  user decides to install them)

There's also the option of autoload the packages that are marked as
such (see the packages DESCRIPTION file), and not autoload the others
(octave default is to not autoload packages that don't have the
autoload line on DESCRIPTION).

If the user always wants a specific package loaded, and does not want
to type it every time, he can do so by adding the load command on
octaverc.

Carnë