Re: Octave and Vim

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave and Vim
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:46:32 -0700

On 04/17/2012 07:48 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 5 Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:57:13 -0400 From: Jordi Guti?rrez
> Hermoso <address@hidden> To: J?lio Hoffimann
> <address@hidden> Cc: Octave Maintainers List
> <address@hidden> Subject: Re: Identification string for
> Octave script detection in VIM Message-ID:
> <address@hidden>
>> > I've being contacting VIM developers to add Rik's octave.vim syntax
>> > to the official VIM distribution. The problem we face is that (as we
>> > all know) GNU Octave scripts tries to be as compatible as possible
>> > with MATLAB scripts, making the automatic filetype detection
>> > impossible.
> I don't understand the problem. Automatic filetype detection? Matlab
> syntax is supposed to be a subset of Octave syntax, so if you have
> Octave mode, this mode should also be able to handle Matlab syntax.
>
> Can you work on the Octave mode to handle all of the Matlab syntax
> too?
4/17/12

I wrote the syntax file for Vim and Octave and haven't really considered
whether it works for Matlab or not.  It might work very well indeed since
Matlab generally is a subset of what we support.  However, I don't have
access to Matlab and can't test it.

I think some type of automatic detection in Vim might be nice, but I
wouldn't get too exercised about it.  Auto-detection will benefit new users
but anyone who spends a lot of time with Octave and Vim has probably
already worked out a system that works for them.  In my case, I never see
Matlab files so I just override the auto-detect plugin and explicitly set
the filetype for *.m files to octave.

--Rik