Re: Please build the JIT branch

From: Max Brister
Subject: Re: Please build the JIT branch
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:00:03 -0500

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10 July 2012 16:44, marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 7/10/2012 3:36 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, guys.
>>>
>>> The JIT branch needs a bit more love and code review:
>>>
>>>      http://inversethought.com/hg/octave-max/
>>>
>>> Please clone it and attempt to build it, especially on non-GNU
>>> systems. In addition to Octave's usual dependecies, you'll need LLVM
>>> 3.0.
>>
>> Hi Jordi,
>> any specific build or configuration instruction ?

If at the end of configure you do not see a long list of libraries in
`LLVM Libraries:' then the build script couldn't find llvm-config. You
can set the path to llvm config manually by doing.
./configure LLVM_CONFIG=<path-to-llvm-config>

> No. Just run the test suite. Hopefully that by itself is already faster. :-)

I don't think enough loops compile successfully in the test suite to
make it faster.

>> cygwin just upgraded to LLVM 3.1, I hope it is not a problem.
>
> Shouldn't be, but that's a good testcase.
>
> I'm just concerned about having it build on more systems and see if
> it's ok. If it's easy for you to integrate building this branch into
> your regular workflow, please do so.
>
> Also, because finally having JIT compilation is exciting. :-) Maybe
> you could try this on some loopy code of yours and see if you get
> speedups.

JIT is still pretty limited, it will not compile loops with any
function calls, even builtin functions (except for sin, cos, and exp).
It also only supports linear matrix indexing. For an example of a
function which can be compiled, see
http://jit-octave.blogspot.com/2012/06/realistic-test.html.

Max Brister