Re: segfault during test

From: Rik
Subject: Re: segfault during test
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:26:47 -0700

On 08/01/2012 07:40 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 14:02:13 +0200
> From: JuanPi <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers <address@hidden>
> Subject: Fresh build segfault
>
> Hi all,
>
> Compiling on a fresh checkout I get a segmentation fault when running
> "make check" (configured with "./configure" with no flags)

>   PASS     10472
>   FAIL         1
>   XFAIL        3
>
> See the file test/fntests.log for additional details.
>
> Expected failures (listed as XFAIL above) are known bugs.
> Please help improve Octave by contributing fixes for them.
>
> 356 (of 934) .m files have no tests.
>
> 0 (of 121) .cc files have no tests.
>
> Please help improve Octave by contributing tests for
> these files (see the list in the file fntests.log).
>
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
> panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-workspace'...
> panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
> make[1]: *** [check] Aborted (core dumped)
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/juanpi/Projects/octave-dev/test'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> Any ideas what can be causing this?
8/1/12

Juan,

I would guess that you might have cruft left over from a previous build.
For example, with the recent change to the src/ directory tree it is
possible that you have dynamically linked functions in the DLD-FUNCTIONS
directory as well as the the built-in versions in the new corefcns
directory.  It is possible that Octave is pulling in an old version of a
function which may have been compiled with different options, etc.

I would try the following from the top-level directory:
make maintainer-clean   # remove all built objects
find . -name '*.lo'    # find any library objects.  These should be deleted.
find . -name '*.la'    # find any library archives.  These should be deleted.
find . -name '*.df'    # find any definition files.  These should be deleted.

Then run the complete build cycle again
./autogen.sh
./configure
make